What Medications Should I Avoid if I Have Heart Failure?
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as Motrin or Aleve. For relief of aches, pains, or fever take Tylenol instead.
- Most antiarrhythmic agents
- Most calcium channel blockers (if you have systolic heart failure)
- Some nutritional supplements, such as salt substitutes, and growth hormone therapies
- Antacids that contain sodium (salt)
- Decongestants such as Sudafed
If you are taking any of these drugs, discuss them with your doctor with priority.
It is essential to know the names of your medications, what they are used for, and how frequent and at what times you take them. Keep a list of your medications and take them with you on every visits to your doctor. Never stop taking your medications without further discussing it with your doctor.