Foods That Prevent Hypertension-By Edterchelle Soriano
Hypertension (HTN) refers to the increase blood pressure (above 120/80 mmHg). According to the May 2012 statistical report from World Health Organization, there are approximately 290,000 cases of maternal deaths with relation to Heart Disease caused by hypertension. 1/3 of the figure comes from India with 20% prevalence rate and Nigeria with 14% incidence rate.
Juvenile Hypertension is a condition that affects children.The data taken from the WHO records show that in 10-year study (2002-2012), there are 7.6 million deaths yearly occurring to children with heart disease caused by hypertension.
This simply tells everyone that hypertension is one of the leading causes of mortality deaths in the world. Everybody is not exempted for this case especially if they are engaged with several unhealthy lifestyle practices.
In line with this, we will provide you with information regarding the preventive care for hypertension. It provides strict emphasis on the foods that can help reduce the blood pressure.
Skim Milk (Fat and Cholesterol-Free)
- Our body needs calcium and milk provides with efficient nutrients. Drinking skim milk will give everyone with Vitamin D and calcium. Moreover, these two nutrients help prevent high blood pressure for about three to ten percent. Although this is not enough, but it can play an important role for avoiding heart diseases.
Dark Chocolate (Low-Glucose)
- According to the Center for Health and Wellness, eating 30 calories of dark chocolate for 18 weeks is proven to help reduce the blood pressure. The Journal of American Medical Association also stressed out that taking 1 small square of dark chocolate in a day can also prevent obesity and heart diseases.
- This green leafy vegetable contains low calories and high concentration of fiber. Additionally, it also provides healthy nutrients such as folate, magnesium and potassium. These nutrients play a significant role for the heart condition. Thereby it also helps maintain normal blood pressure. We recommend everyone to make salads by adding fresh spinach leaves.
- This legume provides magnesium and potassium. Potassium is a nutrient that fires up the ability of the heart to perform conduction (responsible for heart rate). We suggest everyone to eat soybeans by boiling 1 cup of it and take it directly into your mouth by removing the shell of the soybeans.
Sodium-Free Sunflower Seeds
- Sunflower seed contains significant amount of magnesium. However, there are several types of sunflower seeds sold in the market. We advise everyone to check the nutritional label of the sunflower seed before buying it. Make sure to look for unsalted sunflower seeds because this contains high level of sodium. We should avoid taking too much sodium because it can increase the risk of hypertension leading to heart diseases.
- This fruit contains high level of potassium. It is usually recommended by most nutritionist to people who have hypokalemia (low level of potassium in the blood). We highly suggest everyone to take at least 1 banana during breakfast meal. Otherwise, it is ideal to take it as evening treat.
- There are several forms of beans in the market. However, beans such as pinto, lima beans, black or white navy and kidney beans has the most sources of magnesium, soluble fiber and potassium. This can also help reduce the level of blood pressure.
- Potato contains high form of potassium. It is highly recommended to take potassium because of its health benefits. For your information, low level of potassium in the blood will lead to high level of sodium. Sodium must be excreted because it holds the water in the body that can increase the blood pressure. High level of potassium helps excrete the sodium in the body.